Sausage and bean casserole
Looking for a simple, filling recipe that will last you through the week and requires minimum washing up? Try this one-pot sausage and bean casserole recipe!
This recipe is really simple and costs next to nothing. The most essential 'ingredient' to this recipe is to invest in a good ovenproof pot that can also be used on the hob as well (avoid plastic handles as they'll melt in the oven).
This recipe is sure to fill you up till breakfast the next day, and the best thing about it – you can cook it all in one pot, so dish-washing is kept to a minimum!
Sausage casserole recipe
Serves: 6 | Cost: around £4*
- 8 medium sausages
- 1 large onion
- Salt (or garlic salt if you have it)
- 6 rashers of bacon
- 1 pint of vegetable or chicken stock
- 3 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 can of cannellini beans
- 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- Preheat your oven to 180ºC (gas mark 4) and cook the sausages in a large oven-proof pot (with a glug of oil to stop them sticking to the bottom) for 20 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Remove the pot from the oven and add the onion, bacon and a sprinkle of salt (garlic salt if you have it). Fry everything until the onions start going a bit translucent.
- Add the stock to the pan along with the tomato puree and finally add the beans – bring to the boil.
- Once it has reached boiling point, stick the whole pot back in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, stir in the mustard and serve.
Feel free to mix this sausage casserole recipe up a bit by adding chilli (although not too much as boiling chilli makes it even spicier!), some spinach leaves for a bit of fibre, or a mix of other beans if you fancy. You can even add a tin of baked beans if you can't live without them!
To make your food (and your money) go even further, make sure you're storing it correctly!
*Prices are correct as of April 2020 (using Tesco.com prices as guidelines).