For full functionality of this site it is necessary to enable JavaScript. Here are the instructions how to enable JavaScript in your web browser.

Student Accommodation

How to get student council tax exemption

Working out your council tax eligibility can be a headache, particularly as every living situation is different. Use this guide to see if you're exempt from paying!

how to get student council tax exemption

Credit: BBC (foreground), Vincent Li - Flickr (background)

Council tax is one of these horrible things that we all have to face up to at some point in our adult lives. But the good news is, if you're a full-time student, you can delay facing up to it for a little bit longer!

However, it's worth knowing that there are certain situations where you might have to cough up some council tax monies even if you're a student – read on to find out everything you need to know.

What is council tax and what does it pay for?

what is council tax what does council tax pay for

Credit: Netfiix

Council tax is a yearly charge paid in 10 or 12 monthly instalments throughout the year. Council tax charges are made per household rather than per person, and are calculated by the valuation of the property you're living in.

All UK properties are divided into different value bands (A-H in England and Scotland; A-I in Wales) depending on your postcode and how much the property was worth back in April 1991.

The tax you pay goes directly to your local council to foot the bill for things like rubbish collections, street cleaning, local schools, roadworks, etc. In Scotland, your council tax also covers water and sewerage. Lovely!

Can you be exempt from paying council tax?

are students exempt from paying council tax

Credit: 20th Century Fox

Any household which is occupied exclusively by full-time students will qualify for a full exemption on council tax.

If your home is made up of both full-time students and non-students, you will get a council tax bill through the door each month, but only non-student tenants will have to pay it - students are 'disregarded'.

If you have a situation where all of you are full-time students apart from one person who's not a student, unfortunately (for them at least!) they'll have to pay the bill themselves, but will receive a single person discount of 25%.

Therefore, it might be worth choosing your flatmates carefully before moving into a new property, as if you have a mix of students and non-students, those who aren't in full-time education can end up with a bit of a raw deal if they have no other taxpayers to split the bill with!

As mentioned previously, to qualify for council tax exemption you need to be studying full time – part-time students still need to pay (but could be eligible for a reduction).

Qualifying for council tax exemption

To qualify for council tax exemption, the council need to consider you a 'disregarded person'.

You'll be disregarded if you're any of the following:

  • A full-time student (you've probably got that by now!)
  • Studying a course up to A Levels and are under the age of 20 (your course must last at least three months and you must study for at least 12 hours a week)
  • Under 25 and taking specific types of training, like government training schemes
  • A full-time student's 'overseas partner' (so child, spouse or civil partner who is not legally permitted to work in the UK)
  • A student nurse (so already finished studying but not yet fully qualified)
  • An apprentice working towards a qualification.

There are a few exceptions to these, so if you're unsure of your particular situation check out the government's official council tax page.

How to apply for council tax exemption

apply for council tax exemption

Credit: Walt Disney

Depending on how your local council prefers to do things, getting your exemption can take a few minutes or a few days (or weeks, if they're particularly sluggish).

Some councils will just ask you to ring them up and give them your name, student number and uni course, and they'll arrange your exemption electronically while you're still on the line.

Other councils might ask for what's called a 'certificate of student status' in order to prove that you're in full-time education. You can pick one of these up from your university (normally from the admissions office) and post it to your local council.

Other universities have online systems which you can log into yourself and it will automatically generate a letter and send it to the council.

So essentially, how easy this process is just depends how techy your uni and council are!

If you're struggling to get the right contact details for your local council, the site also has a handy list of contact details that might be worth looking at.

Paying council tax during summer and study breaks

student council tax summer study break

Paying council tax during the summer months, or during study breaks, can be a bit of a grey area for students.

The easiest way to work out whether you'll have to pay is to establish how long you'll be registered on your course for. If you're doing an undergraduate degree that lasts three years, you won't have to fork out during the summer months between terms, even if you start working full-time during the summer.

Did you know that students also don't need to pay for a TV Licence over the summer? Find out how to get a refund!

If you're deferring your course until the next year after having already started, it's unlikely that your university will go to the effort of de-registering you and making you register all over again when the next academic year begins. Therefore, you probably won't have to pay council tax during this break period.

Essentially, your exemption kicks in the day your course starts and it will continue until the day your course ends, including holiday periods and when you're not studying.

The postgraduate situation

postgraduate student council tax

Although you won't have to pay tax during the summer breaks between academic years, you will have to pay for the summer months at the end of your final year – even if you're going straight into postgraduate study when the academic year starts again.

This is because there will be a gap before you officially start your next course where you won't technically be a student anymore.

Applications for the Postgraduate Loan for UK Master's degrees and Doctoral degrees are now open!

If you're a postgraduate student taking a bit of extra time to finish writing your thesis over the summer, unfortunately you can have a bit of trouble getting exemption, as this is technically outside of course time.

However, a good way to get around this is to move back home for the summer! If you can prove to your local council that you're moving away as soon as uni is over, they won't send you a bill. Of course, that's assuming that your parents will cover your share of their council tax bill...

Hopefully we've managed to answer a few of your council tax-related questions with this guide!

If you're still unsure if you need to pay council tax, you can leave a comment below, get in touch with us, or contact your local council directly.

Leave a comment