4 simple soups using kitchen leftovers
Got an old courgette somewhere in the back of your fridge? Some onions sitting sadly in the cupboard? Now is the time to put them to some good use my friends.Soup should pretty much be renamed as the king of the food universe if you ask us. It's surprisingly filling, easy to make and uses up all of your leftovers no bother.
It's also pretty damn good on a cold day when you just want something warm inside you.
So, in honour of how great it is, we've come up with four of the easiest and best soup recipes for using up your leftovers. Don't forget to send us your pictures on Twitter!
If you're looking for something that isn't quite the average student meal, or perhaps just a use for your halloween pumpkins, then this is totally the recipe for you.
Massive props' to Emily's mum for this one. Legend.
- 1 Pumpkin
- 1 Cup of water
- 1 Onion chopped
- 1 Chicken stock cube
- 1/2 Teaspoon nutmeg
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 Cup of milk
- Cut the pumpkin into slices and remove the skin and pips.
- Next up, cook it in the water with the onion, crumbled stock cube and nutmeg until the pumpkin is soft.
- Puree or mash thoroughly.
- Reheat gently adding seasoning to taste and enough milk to make pourable. Do not let it boil though!
We'll give you a heads up now on this one, it doesn't always look like the prettiest thing in the world but it sure does taste great.
The more different types of mushrooms you add the more depth of flavour you add. Whoopee.
- 1 Large onion
- 1 Cube vegetable stock
- Various spices
- Leftover mushrooms
- Chop the onion and fry in oil until soft
- Chop your mushrooms and make up the stock cube, then add both to the pan.
- Boil & then leave to simmer for 15 mins. At this point add any spices such as salt and pepper, chilli or cumin.
- Blend and you're ready to eat! Feel free to add some cream to make it more, well creamy.
Everyone loves a cheeky tomato soup. And this one is well easy. We did cheat a bit though; there's more than just tomato in it. Opps.
- 2 Cans plum tomatoes or equivalent fresh tomatoes
- 1 Onion
- 1 Vegetable cube
- 1 Carrot
- 100g Creme fraiche
- 2 Cloves of garlic
- First up, melt some butter in a pan with some garlic, onion and carrot and cook until soft.
- Pour in the tomatoes, crumble in a stock cube and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Blend it up, add in the creme fraiche and enough boiling water to give a good consistency.
Mixed Vegetable Soup
So there's loads of recipes out there for mixed vegetable soup, but ours is basically just a way of using up whatever you've got left.
We do like saving money us!
- Vegetables leftover
- Stock Cube of choice
- First off chop up your vegetables and fry them off in a pan until they're soft.
- Make up some stock with your cube and boiling water and add it into the vegetables with some spices
- Add some cream to taste and you can either blend it up or keep it with lumps. Either which way goes.
Don't forget to tell us how your kitchen soup exploits go! You can also find more recipes in our dedicated section.