Chocolate fondant cake recipe
Looking for a chocolate fondant cake recipe that's quick, easy and incredibly tasty? You're in the right place.
These chocolate fondant cakes are really simple to make.
Indulge in a light chocolate bun with a rich fondant centre and your worries will melt along with them.
You can make around 12 cakes for just £3.06, working out at just £0.26 per cake.
How to make chocolate fondant cake
Makes: 12 cupcakes | Costs: around £3.06* (£0.26 per cupcake) | Time taken: 45 mins
For the cakes
- 200g plain flour (£0.09)
- 50g cocoa powder (£0.40)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (£0.03)
- 200g caster sugar (£0.32)
- 115g softened butter, cut into cubes (£0.81)
- 2 eggs (£0.36)
- 200ml milk (£0.11).
For the sauce
- 140ml double cream (£0.49)
- 85g dark chocolate broken into small chunks (£0.43)
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar (£0.02).
- Preheat your oven to 180°C or gas mark 6.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, caster sugar and butter, whisking them until there are no lumps left. Next, add in the eggs and mix well, followed by the milk.
- Line a muffin tin with 12 bun cases (or you could just use greaseproof paper if you prefer) and divide the mixture equally across the bun cases.
- Place the tray in the centre of the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Check the cakes are springy to the touch (as opposed to squishy), then remove them from the bun tin and place them on a wire rack to cool.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, get started on the chocolate sauce that will go in the middle of them.
- In a pan, heat the double cream until steam starts to come from it (but don't let it boil!).
- Add the dark chocolate and sugar to the cream and leave it on the heat for around 30 seconds, continually stirring until the chocolate has completely melted and the sugar has dissolved.
- Leave the chocolate sauce to cool and thicken a little, and aim for a consistency where it's a little runnier than custard.
- Once the buns have cooled to just above room temperature (so they feel slightly warm to the touch), cut out a cylinder down the middle of each bun, keeping the cut-out pieces of cake.
- Pour the chocolate sauce into the holes in the cupcakes until almost full, then place the crust that had been cut out back on top. Repeat for all buns, and enjoy the chocolate fondant cakes!
Next, try our easy chocolate truffle recipe.
* Prices are correct as of June 2022 (using Tesco.com prices as guidelines).